Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sisterhood of the Travelling Blog - Day 1 - Sherrie Henry



Well Ladies and Gentleman here it is! The beginning of the "Sisterhood of the travelling blog!" Please comment below and give a very warm welcome to my guest of the day--my friend and fellow author, Sherrie Henry as she talks about where her visions of creativity flare from.

Please remember that those lovely readers/supporters who comment on our blogs will each be put into a draw to win an e-book by one of the travelling blog authors. The more you comment, the more times your name will be entered. Easy right? There will be a list of available e-books to choose from provided to the winner at the end of the tour. Happy reading and have a safe and ghoulish Halloween. L.S. Broomfield 

Topic:  How do you come up with your locations in stories?
Sisterhood of the Travelling Blog - Blog 1 - Copyright @ Sherrie Henry

I have travelled all over the US, with the exception of the Northwest. I’m an avid photographer, so I take the vivid images of this country home with me. When I’m ready for a new story, I thumb through my photos to get inspiration. If that doesn't quite work, I have a huge coffee-table sized book of American landscapes. A lot of them have spoken to me, thus I envision my characters there (my latest work, ‘A Wolf’s Bane’ is in southern Georgia; a plantation picture complete with Spanish Moss on trees kicked that one off.)

If I want more of an international flair, I end up reading a lot about that country/region and again, since I’m very visual, I try to find pictures to set the scene. Sometimes they are places where I want to go, others are because they are obvious. Come on, a vampire in Romania? Clichè I know, but it works, no?

As for the actual buildings, houses, various settings within the geographical region, I again look at pictures. Google images has got to be one of the best inventions ever! I try not to get bogged down on too much detail, just enough to give a feel to the reader who then can fill in the blanks with their own imagination.

Then again, there are those stories that don’t speak to one geographical boundary  but to the ever-present human condition. My short story ‘Twenty-Four Hours’ is like that. While in my mind, I based in on the suburbs of Chicago (write what you know!), it could be the suburbs of almost any large town or city. It was what was happening to the main character, Michaela, that was more important.

If there are any struggling writers out there, who are faced with a blank page, I can’t think of anything better than to sit down with a photobook of landscapes and let the pictures talk to you.

Copyright @ Sherrie Henry

My blog can be viewed here:

Other "Sisterhood of the Travelling Blog" Participants:

3 comments:

  1. I love he way your love of photography ties in to your inspirations for your writing. It sounds very similar to mine with my sketching/painting. I find that when you are able to visually capture a location (with more than just your eyes) You feel as though certain places start to belong to you in your heart even if you have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good blog I love how you wrote Wolf's Bane with the scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of finding out things about you ladies with attention on just one question at a time. I am loving the Traveling Blog!

    ReplyDelete